ARE MY DRAINS PVC OR CLAY?
There are 2 common types of sewer pipes in Australia. These are Clay or Earthenware pipes or Polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
Clay or earthenware drain pipes:
- typically 100mm in diameter and 1200m in length
- weights approximately 30kg which is very heavy
- Rigid and brittle
- Old system
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC):
- Lightweight, durable and flexible
- trouble-free service for a lifetime
- lifespan may each over a 100 years.
PVC pipes have been around for about 50 years already, so typically most houses have been using the PVC piping system and houses that were built before this period may also have the clay piping system. If you don’t know your pipe system type you can contact your local plumber for an inspection.