8 Most Dangerous: Electrical Hazards in Your Home

Share On:

Most Dangerous: Electrical Hazards In Your Home
What are the worst electrical hazards that you can find in your home? You should always engage a registered, insured and licensed electrician whenever you are doing any electrical work around your property. It could save your life.
Poor Or Defective Wiring

1. Poor Or Defective Wiring

The wiring in your home must conform to safety standards. Poor wiring can increase the risk of fire, power surges and other serious problems. It’s always best to avoid do-it-yourself electrical work. Seek a professional electrician to perform electrical wiring around the house.
Outlets Close To Water

2. Outlets Close To Water

Water conducts electricity so keeping outlets away from water reduces the chance of electric shock. Ensure outlets in bathrooms, kitchens, and other living areas are installed a safe distance away from the water sources and never use an electrical appliance near a full bath, basin or sink, or on a wet floor.
Electrical Plug

3. Wet Hands

Electrical appliances should never be handled with wet hands as this heightens the chance of getting an electric shock. Always dry your hands thoroughly before using a hairdryer.
Children And Electricity Don'T Mix

4. Children And Electricity Don’t Mix

Young children, particularly toddlers, experience electric shock most often when they bite into electrical cords or poke metal objects such as forks or knives into unprotected outlets or appliances. Ensure you keep cords away from prying hands, unplug appliances when they are not in use, and install safety plugs in electrical sockets.
Extensions Cords And Power Boards

5. Extensions Cords And Power Boards

Chances are unless your home was built recently then you are using an extension cord somewhere in your home. Extension cords and power boards should never be considered a permanent solution. You should also never overload a powerboard. Contact an electrician to install power outlets in areas where you frequently need power.

6. Lightbulbs

We don’t often think of lightbulbs as being electrical hazards, but the potential for an electrical fire arises when lightbulbs are kept near flammable materials. These can include beds, drapes, plastics, or other items such as upholstery.
Covered Cords And Wires

7. Covered Cords And Wires

Heavy covering of wires can cause the cords to overheat, which could lead to an electrical fire. Keep cords and wires away from other items and keep them uncovered.
Fire Extenguisher

8. Putting Water On Electrical Fires

If this worst should happen, and you end up with a fire that has started from an electrical source, then the last thing you want to do is pour water on it. Keep an electrical rater fire extinguisher on site if you’re worried about electrical fires and use that instead of water in times of emergency. If you don’t have one nearby, you can turn off your electrical power and smother the fire with a wool blanket. If you aren’t sure, evacuate your home and call the fire brigade.

If you think your electrical systems need some work or updating, please contact the Plumbing and Electrical Doctor to book our expert electricians. It is always important to have your home wirings fire safe for you and your family.


General Plumbing & Electrical | Hot Water Systems | Blocked Drains | Gas Fitting