Your Trusted Local Gas Hot Water Specialist
The Plumbing and Electrical Doctor has serviced over a thousand gas hot water heater repair and replacement of all makes and models, making us one of the most reputed hot water specialists in New South Wales and the ACT regions.
What is a gas hot water system?
Gas hot water systems come in either storage gas hot water systems and instantaneous gas hot water system, also simply known as instant gas hot water system or continuous flow gas hot water system. Gas water heaters can run using mains natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) that are delivered in tanks by your local supplier.
Pros and Cons of Gas Hot Water Systems
Why is my Gas Hot Water System not Working?
When you have no hot water, you can immediately figure out that your gas hot water system is not working. You might start checking if the gas line supply is on.
If it is, then examine if the pilot light is lit. If igniting it does not work, the problem might lie with the thermocouple. The thermocouple is the safety device that signals your gas valve whether the pilot light is on. The gas valve does not let gas pass through the burner which explains why you don’t have any hot water coming out. In other cases, there is hot water but the supply is not enough. It could be that there is something wrong with your thermostat setting or the gas valves need replacement.
It’s a different case altogether if you see that your gas hot water is leaking. Better turn the gas supply immediately and leave the area before you inhale too much gas. Contact the Plumbing and Electrical Doctor immediately to further diagnose and consequently fix the gas hot water issue. The solution could be as simple as replacing the flue piping to as serious as hot water tank replacement.
Gas Hot Water Maintenance
- Adding insulation to decrease heat loss. You can insulate the pipes by covering them with foam pipe insulation and the sides of the tank with an insulation blanket. Just make sure not to include the top portion for airflow.
- Flushing the tank. Flushing the gas hot water tank discourages sediment buildup that would make it difficult for your equipment to heat water. It can also cause corrosion. Follow the simple steps in flushing your gas hot water tank here.
- Check these parts of the gas hot water which are susceptible to leaks and the usual causes of gas hot water repairs:
- Cold water and hot water inlets – make sure that these parts are snugly connected to the hot water tank.
- Pressure relief valve – You might see water pooling below the tank but there is no mark or evidence of tank leaking. Check the thermostat and the water pressure does not exceed the standards between 50-60 psi.
- Drain valve – Sometimes leaking occurs around the drain valve. You need to flush your water heater before you can perform a drain valve replacement.
Call the Plumbing and Electrical Doctor
Gas hot water systems can pose danger when they are not installed or fixed properly. If you need gas hot water service, remember to deal only with the experts. When it comes to gas hot water repair and installation, trust the Plumbing and Electrical Doctor to get it done for you. Book a gas hot water specialist near you through our hotline or engaging with our representatives through chat.