Hot Water System Repairs & Replacement in Newcastle
Try our PRICE MATCH or BETTER on all hot water repairs or replacements.
“We will beat all written quotes on hot water repairs or replacements*”
We price by the job not by the hour so NO HIDDEN SURPRISES
Hot Water System Installation and Repairs in Newcastle
How long should a hot water systems last in Newcastle?
This is a question that I have been asked many many times, “How long should my hot water system last? And it’s a variable question, I have seen hot water heaters last over 40 years whilst others only 7 years, so why such a difference in life spans?
There are some interesting contributing factors that I have seen in my career that contribute to the lifespan of water heaters.
1. They just don’t make them like they used to, manufacturing in Australia or the world has changed, hot water systems in particular seem to have lost the longevity they used to have.
Whilst manufacturing and designs have changed to a degree, they seem to be made faster and with less quality components than that of the water heaters of years gone by.
2. Water quality, the quality of your water will pay big contributing factor in the life span of your water heater. If you have hard water or water that is full of minerals, this will react with the metal tanks causing them to rust out at a faster rate than that of areas with softer water.
Always check the manufacturer’s recommendations for your area before installing a water heater as there are some makes and models that just aren’t suitable for certain areas and water qualities.
If you have a hot water installation in Newcastle, you are able to install most brands and makes however if you have hot water installation in Port Stephens you will need to ensure that the correct model and make is installed due to the high mineral content of your water.
3. Hot water installations can affect the longevity of your water heater also, when you have a licensed plumber in Newcastle to install your new water heater he must install a pressure limiting valve on the cold water feed to you water heater.
This valve reduces the pressure to 500 KPA ensuring that the system isn’t affected by excessive pressure, manufactured warranties will be void if a pressure limiting valve installed on your hot water system.
4. Hot water servicing and the intervals in which you service your water heater will play a large part in how long your system lasts. It’s recommended that you have your hot water repaired or serviced in Newcastle every five years this should include the replacement of the sacrificial anodes as a must.
5. Location of your hot water system seems to play a big factor in how long the water heater will last, and I am not 100% sure why it does. For whatever reasons hot water tanks that are installed inside always seem to outlast the units that are installed outside, however, I don’t recommend installing them inside as when they do leak they can cause serious damage and flooding.
6. Water heater types and brands. Now this could cause some controversy, however, stick to reputable brands with large warranties. The warranties will vary across manufacturers, however, in my opinion, purchase water heaters with no less than 10 years warranty.
Types of Hot Water Systems in Newcastle
What type of water heater should I buy if I live in Newcastle or the Hunter Valley?
This is like asking what should I have for dinner tonight? It’s very dependent on a few factors and of course the individuals needs and wants. I will outline the pros and cons of each type of water heater for those of us living in the Newcastle Hunter Valley area.
Solar Hot Water Systems Newcastle
These are the most efficient water heaters on the market, they use less non renewable energy than any other types of water heaters and will work rain hail or shine provided that they are installed correctly and are from a reputable manufacturer.
They are the most expensive to purchase and install, however, they will give you the largest payback over their lifespan than any other, and they are still receiving around $1000 government rebate, these are my number 1 choice of water heater provided you can afford the upfront supply and install cost.
Heat Pump Hot Water Systems NewcastleHeat pumps are 2nd on my list of efficient water heaters next to solar, and are outstanding in many ways, the technology has been around a long time and they seem to be getting better every year. Heat pumps have received a bad rap over the years, however, manufacturers have really stepped up their game and are producing quieter more efficient and aesthetically pleasing units.
Heat pumps also still receive around $800-$900 worth of government rebates and are the ideal addition to any house or business that has solar power installed. Different heat pumps have different features and settings that can be programmed on a user friendly display or even via app on your phone. Heat pumps are my recommended install for the greenhouse that generates its own power.
Gas Hot Water Systems Newcastle
I do love gas hot water heaters, they provide plenty of hot water and fast, they offer a range of many different sizes and types including the traditional gas storage hot water system or the gas instant systems.
Electric Hot Water Systems Newcastle
These are the most common hot water systems and they do a great job, there is a large range to choose from as far as size and brands and will be the cheapest to purchase and install, however depending on what you pay for power and what times of the day you use this power will greatly affect the efficiency and cost to run these systems
- Budget, how much can I afford up front?
- Do I have solar power?
- Do I have gas or both?
- What size will suit my needs and showering habits?
Hot Water Types & Services
- Solar Hot Water System
- Gas Hot Water Systems
- Electric Hot Water Systems
- Heat Pumps Hot Water
- Instantaneous Hot Water Systems
- Hot Water Tank Repair
- Hot Water Replacement or Installation
- Sacrificial Nodes
- Air Source Heat Pump
- Expert Advice & Consultation
Trusted Hot Water Brands
- Rinnai Hot Water
- Vulcan Hot Water
- Rheem Hot Water
- Everhot Hot Water
- Dux Hot Water
- Bosch Hot Water
When you call The Plumbing & Electrical Doctor:
- Your enquiry is handled by trained professionals.
- The information is entered into our system and allocated to one of their technicians out in the field.
- Each plumber in the field has a smart phone which receives your job and all of the information you have provided.
- The plumber will call you when they are on the way to your house.
- They carry out a full inspection on your house at no charge.
- You get a fixed price quote before they start. No surprises.