I’m not sure about you but I spend a significant time in my bathroom, showering twice a day, ablutions, making myself look respectable, catching up on my reading and getting some well deserved peace from the toils of parenting.
On average, we spend about 3 hours a week in our bathroom. With this much time that we spend in our bathrooms, it’s important that we keep it very clean and comfortable.
We all know that the bathroom is one of the places in our house where germs and bacteria can easily spread and multiply. Keeping it clean is very important for our health and for our safety. So here are some tips and tricks on how to keep our bathroom clean and safe.
- Cleaning the Sink. – The bathroom sink is one of the most used areas in your bathroom so keeping it clean is a must. Soap residue and grime can accumulate on the sides of the sink and if left overtime can leave an ugly mark on your enamel sinks. One simple way of removing this dirt is to spray a solution of 1 tablespoon of ammonia mixed over 4 liters of water on the sink. Scrub it with a soft brush and then thoroughly rinse after. That would leave your enamel sink sparkling clean.
For your chrome and brass sink taps that have looked dull and tarnished, a simple paste mixture of lime juice and salt would do wonders to remove the tarnish off your taps. Just apply the paste to your taps, leave it for about 5-10 minutes and then wash away with warm water. For a finishing touch, you can use baby oil or a fabric-softener sheet to polish the tap to a shine.
- Cleaning the Shower. – If you are using a shower curtain, over time, soap suds and dirt can accumulate on them and can cause molds to grow and form. It is therefore recommended that you wash your shower curtains at least once every 2 weeks to keep them clean. When you wash your shower curtain, rinse it with a cup of vinegar and bleach mixed together with detergent powder in your washing machine and give it a thorough cleaning. This not only cleans your shower curtains but disinfects them to keep it germ-free. Just make sure though that your washing machine allows bleach in it.
Now if you have a glass shower door instead of a shower curtain, soap residue is again another major issue on this. They leave those white lines on the glass. But removing them off is easy by again using a fabric-softener sheet to remove those streaks off your glass. Just wet the sheets and scrub them on the glass to remove the white stains off.
For your showerheads, a simple process would be to fill a plastic bag with vinegar and wrap the showerhead in it. Let it soak for at least 15 minutes before you run the shower to completely remove any grime and dirt that have accumulated inside the showerheads.
- Cleaning the Bathtub. – Next to the toilet, the bathtub is one of the most germ-infested areas in your bathroom. You can use the same ammonia mixture of 1 tablespoon mixed over 4 liters of water. Spray it all over the bathtub, let it sit for about 5 minutes before scrubbing it away and rinse thoroughly afterward. If you want to go organic and natural, cut an orange or grapefruit in half, sprinkle some salt on it and use that to scrub your bathtub. Not only does it remove the dirt but it also leaves your bathtub smelling good.
- Cleaning the Floor and Walls. – Dirt that has build-up in the grout is an invitation for molds and bacteria to grow. One way to remove them is to use a paste mixture of baking soda and water. Use a toothbrush to brush them on the affected grout area. Then spray it with a mixture of vinegar and water and then brush away to completely remove the embedded dirt and grime. Rinse with warm water for the best result. To keep the grout clean, make sure to reseal it every 6 months to keep it dry and moisture-free.
- Cleaning the Toilet. – As we all know, the toilet is the dirtiest place in the bathroom so keeping it clean is essential. One way to clean the toilet is to drop a couple of Alka-Seltzer inside the bowl. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes before you brush the toilet bowl. The citric acid together with the bubbling effect of the Alka-Seltzer helps to remove the dirt.
Another way to clean your toilet is to use a can of Coke. Empty the content of the coke inside the bowl and let it sit for at least an hour before you scrub the toilet.
You can also use vinegar to clean your toilet. Place vinegar inside the bowl and spray vinegar on the toilet seat. Let it sit again for about 20-30 minutes before brushing the toilet. Thoroughly rinse so as to remove the vinegar. This will completely disinfect your toilet and keep it clean.
With these easy steps, you would be able to keep and maintain your bathroom clean and healthy to use. If you have any plumbing works that you needed done on your bathroom like a blocked toilet, a clogged sink or a blocked drain, don’t hesitate to give the Plumbing and Electrical Doctor a call.