You Came Home To A Puddle Of Water Right Next To Your Hot Water Unit, What Should You Do?
A Leak on your Hot Water System is not something that you should put off for another day. A simple leak in your hot water system can be a symptom of a much larger issue with your hot water and can lead to a more serious problem. A dripping leak today might become a gushing one tomorrow. Typically, our hot water system has an average lifespan of 10 years depending on how well maintained they are.
We usually don’t pay much attention to this appliance since we barely have any issue with it. The only time that we take notice is when we already encountered a problem with our hot water. So a small leak might even go unnoticed for quite some time until we barely get any hot water running out of the taps or worse, no hot water coming out at all.
If You Got A Leak In Your Hot Water System, These Are The Things That You Should Do
2. Isolate the water from your hot water system. Turn off the water to your hot water system by turning the black tap or valve. This is usually located at the bottom portion of the tank. If you can’t locate the valve, your next best course would be to turn off the main water meter. This should stop the leak soon. So, what causes the leak? Here are some of the main reasons:
- A Corroded Anode Rod.
- The Cold Water Inlet Valve is Leaking.
- A Loose Pipe Fitting.
- The Tank Itself is Leaking.
- A Leaking Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve.
3. Turn off your hot water system. If you got a Gas Hot Water System, locate the gas isolation valve and turn that off. If you are unable to find it, turn off the gas by shutting off the main gas meter. If you have an electric, solar or heat pump, turn off the circuit breaker on your main board so as to cut off electricity on your hot water system.
4. Immediately Call your Expert Plumber to take a look at your hot water system. Remember, fixing the issue as early as possible for even such a simple leak on your hot water can prevent serious problems from occurring and can extend the lifespan of your unit.
Just dial 13 10 91 and we’ll send a hot water specialist in the next 2 hours to immediately rectify your issue. We are serving Canberra, Newcastle, Central Coast, Hunter Valley, Lake Macquarie, and Port Stephens.
At The Plumbing and Electrical Doctor we have made these articles downloadable to PDF for our customers convenience.