Avoiding Electric Shock: Electricity and its Dangers

Share On:

Avoiding Electric Shock

Electricity is a powerful thing. It can be used to heat our homes, cook our food, and light our way. But it can also be dangerous. Each year, there are thousands of house fires caused by faulty wiring or appliances. And many of these fires could be prevented if people knew how to use them safely. Current is an important part of our lives, but it can also be very dangerous. Did you know that one in six home fires is started by faulty appliances or wiring? There’s nothing like avoiding an electric shock when you’re least expecting it.

Unfortunately, many people suffer electric shocks at home each year because they don’t know how to avoid them. Electric shock can be a serious hazard, resulting in burns, cardiac arrest, internal injury damage, and even death. It’s important to take precautions when working with or around the electrical installation to avoid potentially devastating injuries. In this post, we highly recommend licensed electricians when dealing with installation and repair at home or in your business office. Here’s what you need to know so keep reading.

What Is Electric Shock And How Can You Avoid It?

One of the most common ways people get injured or killed is through electrical shock. Electrical shock happens when an electrical flow goes through the human body. This can cause muscles to contract, preventing you from breathing. Electric shock depends on how high voltage electrical energy you can contact and can also lead to heart failure, electrical burn and sudden death, the potentially dangerous flow of current through the body. It can cause heart palpitations, cardiac arrest, and even death. While electric shock can happen to anyone, there are ways you can reduce your risk of being injured.

Electrical Tools

What Are Some Common Causes Of Electric Shock?

There are many potential causes of electric shock. Some are more common than others. Understanding these causes can help you take steps to reduce your risk of being shocked. This can cause serious and permanent injuries, so it’s important to know what causes them and how to avoid them. We will discuss some of the most common causes of electric shock. Keep in mind that if you experience an electric shock, it is important to seek medical attention right away it can occur when you come in contact with it, either through direct contact or through an electrical appliance.

Here are some reasons and common causes to be cautioned and obviate. We also share how to prevent some of the most common ways this happens by touching power outlets or electrical cords with wet hands.

  • Faulty Wiring Appliances
  • Defective Electrical Outlets
  • Worn Electrical Cords or Wires
  • Cut Electrical Extension Wires
  • Damage To Household Wiring Grounded
  • Lightning Strike
  • You Contact Electricity With Water
  • Incorrectly Wiring Within Your Dwelling
  • No Safety Devices Installed In You
Bulb Electricity

How to Prevent Electric Shock in your Home?

When most people think of electric shock, they imagine someone being electrocuted. However, there are many other ways that electric shock can occur in the home. make sure that all of your power outlets are properly covered with plastic covers or safety plugs. Make sure that all electrical installation is done by certified electricians. Know what causes an electric shock? Current travels along metal wires and if you come into contact with those wires, you can get and receive an electric shock. By keeping these tips we can prevent this from our homes and safely keep our loved ones away from harm.

  • Don’t use a defective electrical extension cord.
  • Don’t use damaged electrical/electronic devices and gadgets.
  • Never forget to pull all plugs after using them to avoid circuit break.
  • In replacing the bulb never forget to switch off the light first.
  • When doing DIY, always locate all electrical wiring before cutting or digging a hole.
  • Never use electrical wiring near a pool or bathroom.
  • Always be aware of where the outlets and cords are in your home and don’t overload circuits.
  • Don’t touch electrical wiring or appliances when your hand is wet.
  • If an appliance has been damaged or is sparking, unplug it and call a professional local electrician.
  • Children should be supervised around electrical appliances and cords.
  • Pets should be kept away from electrical wiring.
  • Ensure you have  the appropriate safety  switches installed on your meter board (RCD)

Please share this post with your family and friends to help keep them safe. In Newcastle, electric shock is one of the leading causes of electrical injuries in homes. If you live in Australia and its suburbs with heat, it’s important to take some precautions to prevent electric shock. Although rare, electric shock can be fatal, so it’s worth taking a few simple steps to ensure your safety.

And if you experience an electrical problem at home and find electrical contractors the Plumbing and Electrical Doctor has a wide range of services as electricians in Newcastle, Canberra, Hunter Valley, and surrounding areas offer 24/7 electrical service. They are licensed and know how to prevent and avoid they are experts in electrical fields.

Sign Of Electrical Shock

What To Do If You Experience Electric Shock?

There are certain things you need to do to protect yourself and ensure your safety. Keep in mind that it can be dangerous, so it’s important to take the necessary precautions. If you experience electric shock follow these steps to stay safe. First, make sure the area is safe to enter, and then shut down the power supply. Retrains wounds or cuts and contact authority if necessary. Finally, stay away from the electrical source until help arrives. Know what is the symptoms of an electric shock.

Signs of Electrical Shock:

  • Hard To Breathe Or Loss Of Air
  • Pulse Is Not Normal
  • Insensibility
  • Cardiac Arrest
  • Burns Of Where The Electron Enters In And Out Of The Body
Licensed Electrician

Tips For Staying Safe Around Electricity

As a homeowner, you want to be aware of the potential dangers in your home. One such danger is current. Here are some tips to avoid an accident at home. Never contact an electrical cable with your uncovered hands. Be careful when working with plugs and sockets – never force a plug into a socket if it doesn’t fit. Make sure all electrical equipment is switched off before you start cleaning it. Always use a licensed electrician for any electrical work; stay away from power lines and substations. Follow these tips and you’ll be able to enjoy using electricity without putting yourself at risk. So how can you avoid getting shocked at home?

Here are a few tips:

  • Be aware of your surroundings. Watch where you’re walking and be mindful of cords and cables.
  • Don’t touch electrical appliances with wet hands.
  • Unplug appliances when not in use.
  • Replace damaged or frayed cords immediately.
  • when using ladders always look up for power lines.
  • Have an electrician install safety switches on your switchboard, this is the number 1 preventative measure to electrocution.

If you have experienced an electric shock, seek medical help immediately.

Electrical Newcastle


Electricity is an unseen, yet ever-present danger in our lives. It’s important to be aware of the dangers it poses and take steps to prevent electric shock. Avoid electric shock and be aware of its dangers by following these simple safety tips, you can help keep yourself and your loved ones safe from harm. Have you ever experienced an electric shock? What precautions do you take to stay safe around?

And do you have RCD safety devices and switches installed at your house?

General Plumbing & Electrical | Hot Water Systems | Blocked Drains | Gas Fitting