How Do We Differentiate A Mixer Tap Between A Standard Tap?
Here is some quick information on how to tell one from the other.
- Mixer taps are the most common tap that you see in Australian homes, especially kitchens. These are the taps where you have one handle that controls both hot and cold water and is mixed together and comes out from one single spout.
- Older types of taps have separate spouts for both the cold and hot water these are called pillar taps.
- The third type is the traditional tap with a handle for both hot and cold and a spout.
So what’s better mixer taps, pillar taps or standard taps? It’s all a matter of opinion and completely revolves around the style that you wish to portray within your house.
- Modern Australian homes will have mixer taps throughout the house, giving it a sleek modern user-friendly feel.
- An older-style federation house will most likely have traditional taps keeping with that classic feel.
- And a retro house may choose to use pillar taps, to keep the retro feel and to match its cool pastel-coloured basins and toilets.
In my own house, I have recently renovated I chose the following styles.
- Wall Mixers in the showers.
- Flick mixers in the kitchen, laundry and basins.
Standard taps are the ones where you use a single lever in order to control the flow of water. You can either turn the tap to the left in order to get hot water or turn it to the right to get cold water. There is also an option to turn the lever on the side in order to preset it to the desired water temperature. One major advantage of the standard taps is that you can easily control the flow of water by just lifting the lever continuously up to get a much heavy flow.
They are mostly used in bathroom basins since they are very easy to use especially for young kids and the elderly. They also come in varying designs and colours which is one of their major advantages since they are easy to match with your kitchen sink, kitchen tap, kitchen mixer and bathroom themes and designs.
Now, you’ll have a general idea of what kind of tap to use on your property. For the installation of new taps and repair of leaking taps, call your expert plumbers right away.
Here is another article that you may find interesting in regards to “What to Check if Your Hot Water Service is Not Working Properly”.
If you need your taps serviced or need new taps installed, don’t hesitate to call us at 13 10 91 to fix the problem right away. We service areas in Canberra, Newcastle, Central Coast, Hunter Valley, Lake Macquarie, and Port Stephens.
At The Plumbing and Electrical Doctor, we have made these articles downloadable to PDF for our customer’s convenience.