Autumn is here! This means the allure of the changing colors of the leaves. The start of the widely anticipated relief from the heat wave and start of the cooler days.
With the seasonal change, now would be the best time to check on your plumbing system before the cold days start.
Here are 5 Plumbing Tips that you can do to prepare for autumn.
1. Check your Hot Water System. You definitely would not want to spend the coming cold days without any hot water in your property. So a quick check of your hot water system is essential. Make sure that there are no leaks on the valves and pipes to your hot water. Check if there is no problem with the ignition. If it has not been serviced for more than 2 years, then call your expert plumbers and have it serviced right away. Remember, having your hot water system checked regularly can extend its lifespan and help ensure you have continuous hot water flowing inside your house during the cold days ahead.
2. Check for any leaking taps and pipes. Check the kitchen, bathroom, laundry and washing area for any leaking fixtures and pipes. Especially check the outside taps if any are leaking. Outside taps are often left unattended and can easily leak without notice, and a dripping taps is wasting one of the world’s most valuable resources.
3. For our Canberra readers remove the garden hose. Now would be the right time to disconnect your garden hose and store them away. A garden hose might have water left inside and leaving them outside during the cold days, they could freeze up and expand which can cause your pipes to leak and burst. So better to remove them and take them out.
4. Make sure that your gas heater is working properly. Aside from your Hot Water System, one essential appliance that you would need working 100% during the cold days is your gas heaters. Have them serviced before the cold days come especially if it has not been checked for more than 2 years. A well-maintained gas heater will keep your homes warm and comfortable during the cold days of Autumn as well as ensure that you are safe from any possible gas leaks and problems. Gas leaks can be fatal and a regular check of your gas heaters would ensure that any potential problems are fixed beforehand.
5. Clear your storm water drainage system. Make sure to clear your roof of leaves and debris to prevent it clogging up your gutters and downpipes. If you have a lot of trees on your property, you might need to do this often to ensure that your gutters stay clear and clean. A clogged gutter can result in a leaking roof and water damage inside the house. That definitely is not something that you want to happen come Autumn season. Also, make sure to clear your stormwater and sewer drains. You don’t want also water flooding your yard and property outside.
If you have any plumbing work that needs to be done before the start of the Autumn season, call your expert plumbers and have them fix the issues before the start of the cold days.
Here is another article that you may find interesting in regards to “Clearing Drains the Good Old Fashioned Way”.
For electrical and plumbing problems after a storm, don’t hesitate to call us at 13 10 91 to fix the problem right away. We are serving areas in Canberra, Newcastle, Central Coast, Hunter Valley, Lake Macquarie, and Port Stephens.
At The Plumbing and Electrical Doctor we have made these articles downloadable to PDF for our customers convenience.