A potential gas leak is a serious matter that you need to address immediately. Natural gas is odourless but a strong smell has been added to it like the smell of rotten eggs to alert people if the gas has leaked from its source. If you smell gas or hear gas leaking in your property, these are the crucial things that you need to do.
If You Smell Gas Inside Your Property Or House:
- If the gas leak is coming from your gas appliance such as your gas stove, turn off the shut-off valve on the gas appliance that is leaking. The shut-off valve is usually located on the pipe that is connected to your gas appliance. If that does not help, shut off the main gas meter outside of the house or turn off the valve on the cylinder if you are using an LPG.
- Extinguish all burning flames and pilot lights inside. Turn off all electrical and gas appliances inside the house. Make sure though that you do not unplug or replug any electrical devices since it has the potential to generate a spark and possible cause the gas to ignite.
- Do not light any matches, smoke or use a lighter. This might cause any of the trapped gas inside to ignite.
- Do not turn on any electrical appliances or devices that might cause a spark. This includes turning on any lights, using a flashlight, using your telephone or using your mobile phones while inside which can also potentially create a spark and cause a fire to start.
- If you are able to do so, open all the windows and doors in your house so as to diffuse the trapped gas inside.
- Evacuate your place and go a safe distance away from the source of the leak and do not let any family members remain inside the house. Remember, safety is your utmost concern so you should prioritize having everyone go outside your house.
- Immediately call your local plumbers so they can check on where the gas leak is coming from. Do not attempt to look for the source of the gas leak yourself.
If The Smell Of Gas Is Coming From The Street Or Outside Of Your Property:
- If it’s safe to do so, turn off the main gas meter outside y our house. Turn the valve in a horizontal position on your main gas meter completely shut off the gas. If you have more than one LPG tank, make sure to turn off the other tanks also. er so as to shut off the gas. If you are using an LPG, turn the round valve on top of the tank in a clockwise direction
- Do not light any matches, smoke cigarettes or use any electronic devices such as your mobile phones near the area where you smell gas.
- Immediately call us so that we would be able to investigate and locate the source of where the gas leak is coming from.
Here is another article that you may find interesting in regards to “Mixer Tap vs Standard Taps”.
After the steps given above if you are still encountering issues with your gas pipes, don’t hesitate to call us at 13 10 91 to fix the problem right away. We serve areas in Canberra, Newcastle, Central Coast, Hunter Valley, Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens.
At The Plumbing and Electrical Doctor, we have made these articles downloadable to PDF for our customer’s convenience.